New timetable further delaying introduction of border controls
In a Written Statement to Parliament on 14 September, the Government announced further revisions to its timetable for the introduction of full import controls for movements of animal and plant products from the EU to GB – including sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) checks.
The Government has explained this as response to challenges businesses have faced due to the global pandemic, as well as its impact on supply chains across the UK and Europe, and believes a more pragmatic timetable will help give businesses time to recover from the pandemic and adjust to the new processes.
Controls will now be phased in across 2022:
From 1 January 2022
- The requirement for pre-notification of products of animal origin, animal by-products and high-risk food not of animal origin which were due to be introduced on 1 October 2021, will now be introduced on 1 January 2022, along with pre-notification for lower risk plants and plant product.
From 1 July 2022
- The new requirements for GB Export Health Certificates from EU exporters, which were due to be introduced on 1 October 2021, will now be introduced on 1 July 2022.
- Phytosanitary certificates for lower risk plant produce, due to be introduced on 1 January 2022, will now be introduced on 1 July 2022.
- Physical checks on SPS goods at Border Control Posts will now begin on 1 July 2022.
All current controls for live animals, POAO under safeguard measures and high priority plants and plant products remain unchanged.
In addition, the following customs controls will be phased in:
- Full customs declarations and controls will be introduced on 1 January 2022 as previously announced.
- Safety and Security declarations on imports will be required as of 1 July 2022 as opposed to 1 January 2022.
The new timeline is intended to allow importers, exporters and EU certifiers more time to prepare for the requirements and controls and reduce any anticipated disruption when these measures are introduced.
Further information will be on this site as soon as it becomes available.