Will I be able to export my meat or meat based products to countries that the UK has a Free Trade Agreement with?

Please note that although the UK is negotiating FTAs with a number of countries, there is no guarantee that such details will include meat, dairy or potatoes. It is important to disaggregate FTAs from Phytosanitary checks.

You need to follow special rules to export animal products that will be used as food, for example:

  • frozen or fresh meat and fish
  • dairy products
  • honey
  • gelatine, lard or blood

What you need to do depends on if you’re exporting within the EU or outside the EU. You will usually need to complete an export health certificate (EHC) and some supporting documents to be able to export your product.

There also needs to be a bilateral arrangement on a product by product basis. For example, we have approval from China to ship certain pork products from specified factories, however this does not currently include trotters nor other meats.  At the same time, we do not have a Free Trade Agreement either directly or through the EU. We have been told that all countries that we currently trade with under EU certification will be transposed to UK certification.

This link will bring you to a UK government look up site to see the countries and the specified products for which we have agreed EHCs.